Feeling uncomfortable throughout the day can really put a damper on your mood. No one wants to think about their feet aching when they are trying to get their work done or spending time with their family. Your Wayne, NJ podiatry office wants you feeling great on or off your feet throughout your daily routine. However, if your heel is causing you discomfort, you may need to give your Wayne, NJ podiatrist a call.
Common Heel Conditions
If you are feeling aches in your heel throughout your day, you may have one of these common conditions:
- Achilles tendinitis – Overuse of the Achilles tendon is generally caused by athletes from running or other sports. Symptoms occur in the back of the heel and lower leg.
- Plantar fasciitis (Heel Pain) – Also commonly caused by sports, this can also occur in overweight people and from wearing shoes without proper support. Symptoms occur during your first steps in the morning or upon standing after sitting or laying for a prolonged period of time.
Other less common heel conditions are:
- Heel spur
- Osteomyelitis (Bone Infection)
- Stress fractures
If you feel discomfort in your heel, you can try at-home treatments. The most common heel conditions are caused by overuse of the foot from standing, walking, running, or sport-related injuries. If the discomfort is mild, you can try the following treatments:
- Resting the foot as much as possible
- Taking aspirin or other over-the-counter analgesics
- Adding a heel cushion to give the foot extra support inside your shoe
- Stretching exercises
- Placing ice on the affected area
If you can’t find relief after these home remedies or your discomfort escalates, calling for an appointment with your Wayne, NJ podiatrist is the next step.
Trusting Your Podiatrist In Wayne, NJ
Your podiatrist in Wayne, NJ will diagnose your foot using physical examination and various tests to narrow down the cause of your discomfort. They may need an X-ray to determine whether a bone has been fractured. Be sure to ask any questions you have before, during and after your appointment to ensure that your heel recover as quickly as possible.
If you are ready to get back to your daily routine and what is important to you, click here.